Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Art Deco?

I'm not really sure if these two pieces are what's considered Art Deco.  But, I believe that's what they are called.  I was really excited when I picked these up for a great price.  But then I've been stumped as to what to do with them.  So I thought I'd put it out there for all my blogland friends to help me with some ideas.  I'm not sure how many will actually read this, but it's worth a try.  Without further ado.......here they are:




Lots of great details that will pop with the right treatment!


Just a little close up of some of the details.


This vanity has wood wheels.  How cool is that!

Should I try to save the design painted on the drawers?



I was thinking these might be my first Annie Sloan Chalk Paint projects, since I really don't want to sand and prime these babies!  What do you think?  Also, should I cut the back board off the vanity and leave it as is, or should I put a mirror there?  What do you think of the drawers with the design already painted on it?  Should I try to preserve that somehow?  The details on the trim and legs really need to be highlighted.  I'm not sure if just distressing will do the trick, or if I should try some other technique like goldleaf?  I'm sure there are other questions I should ask, but that's all I've got for now.

So put on your creative thinking caps and give me some feedback friends!  Thanks for your help.

Ready......Set.......GO!




5 comments:

eleven-o-one said...

These are beautiful! I think it is a great ASCP candidate. I don't know if you can save that pretty design, though. But all of that detail is begging for two tones. Can't wait to see what you do. (Thanks for debugging my last post for me. My apologies again.)
Fran @ www.eleven-o-one.blogspot.com

Lori said...

That is a great piece. Perfect for chalk paint. I did a vanity very similar to that in Old White and distressed it and it turned out beautifully. Go for it!!!

Katie @ sweetgirlexpressions said...

Annie Sloan paint would look beautiful on these....it would be a shame to paint over that design though...

Mandy said...

Ha! First thing I thought was, "Annie Sloan Paint!" Definitely some dark wax in all of those details. It will be so beautiful Jeanne! I can't wait to see what you do to it. What color were you thinking?

Gail said...

Sounds like Annie Sloan it is! I don't think you could go wrong with the advice you have been given. Can't wait to see the transformation.

Have a wonderful evening,
Gail