Saturday, October 1, 2011

Day 1 - The Book of Proverbs



Isn't this lovely.  Michele over at The Great Read
made this for me from a picture I had posted.


So it's day 1 of my 31 days of The Book of Proverbs and I'm a little intimidated by the task.  I don't really consider myself a writer or bible commentator.  However, I do know that I am a daughter of the King of Kings and He will be with me through this endeavor!


Proverbs 1 - 7 - These are the proverbs of Solomon, David's son, king of Israel.  The purpose of these proverbs is to teach people wisdom and discipline, good conduct, and doing what is right, just, and fair.  These proverbs will make the simpleminded clever.  They will give knowledge and purpose to the young people.  Let those who are wise listen to these proverbs and become even wiser.  And let those who understand receive guidance by exploring the depth of meaning in these proverbs, parables, wise sayings, and riddles.  Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge.  Only fools despise wisdom and discipline. (New Living Translation)


Wow!  If we all lived our lives according to these proverbs, what a world we would be living in.  A world of "wisdom, discipline, good conduct, and doing what is right, just, and fair".  Well, I certainly can't control how the rest of the world lives their lives, but I can decide how to live my own.  I for one want to gain this wisdom Solomon talks about and explore a further "depth of meaning".  


When I read these first passages it made me think of the New Testament parables of Jesus.  If you get those you get life.  And the parable of parables is about the sower or farmer.  Jesus says, "Do you not understand this parable?  How will you understand all the parables?".  He says that the farmer  sows the word of God.  I think we sow His actual word and it's principles in our own hearts as well as those around us.  And I think our actions sow as well.  You know the saying, "actions speak louder than words".


Verses 8 - 19 are exhortations of a father to his son to stay true to what he has been taught and to keep away from those that would entice him to violence for gain.  I think verses 18 & 19 really sum up the end for those people; "They set an ambush for themselves; they booby-trap their own lives!  Such is the fate of all who are greedy for gain.  It ends up robbing them of life". (New Living Translation).
I think being "greedy for gain" can catch any of us if we're not careful.  You know, the whole "keep up with the Jone's" mentality.  Although we may not get physically violent as stated in this proverb, I think some people will step on anyone that gets in the way of their pursuit of gain.  The end result will "rob them of life" through hurting their marriage, not knowing their children, physical sickness, mental stress,..........the list goes on.


The last part of this chapter is a warning that we must heed wisdom.  If we don't, calamity will come.  Verse 29 states, "For they hated knowledge and chose not to fear the Lord".  Remember back in verse 7 we read, 
"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction".  So we must first be reverent to God.  Let's stop and really look at who He is.  The creator of the universe.  The master builder.  He deserves respect and awe!  That's where knowledge begins and wisdom grows from there.


I hope that you can glean some small nugget from this today.  Thank you for reading.


Blessings!
Jeanne


Linking up with:
Nesting Place





No comments: