Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Day 4 - A Father's Instruction




Well, it's been a whirlwind of a day.  I was in Florida this morning and I am in Colorado as I write this tonight.  I had to travel from Denver airport to Boulder and as is usual for me, I got lost.  Needless to say I got to the hotel a bit frazzled. 


It got better though.  I met up with my friends that I haven't seen in months and enjoyed reconnecting. It's great knowing when I'm away like this, that I'm going to get to hang out with these people I've come to care about.  OK, I know you didn't come here to read about my day.  So on with chapter 4.


This chapter begins by reiterating we are reading a father's instruction to his children.  I take it as instruction to me from my Father, God.  Verses 6 & 7 were the first to really stand out to me today.  It states, "Forsake her (wisdom) not, and she shall preserve thee; Love her, and she shall keep thee.  Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom; and with all thy getting get understanding." (King James Version)So we look again at benefits of "sticking" with wisdom.  We are preserved and kept.  Protected and guarded.  The other thing that speaks to me is we are to get understanding "with all thy getting".  That makes me think of the "crying out" we looked at in chapter 2.   God really wants us to get this.  I need to get desperate with "all my getting" for understanding.  Understanding what?  Wisdom (which I think is God's word).


Let's jump ahead to verse 25, "Above all else, guard your heart, for it affects everything you do." How do we guard our heart?  We obtain wisdom and understanding from God.  As we just read in verse 6 wisdom will protect and guard.  We must actively pursue this wisdom everyday to keep guarded.  I know I don't always succeed at this, and my day is negatively affected when I don't.  Oh, maybe some days seem OK.  But I know when I haven't taken the time to seek the Father's wisdom and will on a daily basis, it eventually catches up with me.


The last thing I see is that we must keep focused on our pursuit of wisdom.  Keep our eye on the prize so to speak.  That's what verses 25 - 27 speak to me.  "Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before you.  Mark out a straight path for your feet; then stick to the path and stay safe.  Don't get sidetracked; keep your feet from following evil." (New Living Translation)


Thank you for stopping by today.


Jeanne


Linking up to:
Nesting Place

No comments: